Here's how you can spread the word:
Send those emails!
Once you’ve registered, email friends and family asking them to join you. Tell them why this event is so important to you, and it will probably become important to them too. Here’s an UNRWA article if you want to give them the basics about psychological trauma for children in Gaza.
Dear [Insert name],
On [insert date], I'll be participating in the Gaza 5K walk/run in [insert city]. All proceeds will provide counseling to Palestinian children in Gaza suffering from PTSD and other psychological trauma. It's going to be a really meaningful event, and I would love for you to join me! You can join my team by registering here [insert hyperlink].
If you can't run/walk with me, you can still take part by making a tax-deductible donation to my fundraising page [insert hyperlink]. Together, we can do more for the children of Gaza!
- Like UNRWA USA on Facebook so you can share our posts with your family and friends.
- Tweet! Make sure to tag @unrwausa, and include a link to your personal fundraising page with the #Gaza5K hashtag.
Sample Facebook posts:
- I registered for UNRWA USA's Gaza 5K walk/run benefiting the children of Gaza. Support my efforts by making a donation or joining my team! [Link to your page]
- I registered for UNRWA USA's Gaza 5K walk/run in [city] on [date] benefiting the children of Gaza. Support my efforts by making a donation or joining my team! [Link to your page]
- I’m committed to raising at least $500 dollars for the children of Gaza. Help me reach this goal by donating $10 to my fundraising page [Link to your fundraising page]. Every dollar counts!
Sample tweets to get your friends to join you:
- How far would you walk to help #refugees? I'm asking you to do 3.1 miles with me! Sign up now: gaza5k.org #Gaza5K @unrwausa
- I'm running in @unrwausa's charity 5K to raise money for Palestinian children. Join my team: [Insert link for team page] #Gaza5K
Sample tweets to get those donations!:
- I am walking/running in @unrwausa's #Gaza5K benefiting the kids of Gaza. Support my efforts, make a donation! [Insert link to your page]
- I’ve committed to raising $____ to support the children of Gaza. Help me reach my goal, make a donation [Insert link to your page] #Gaza5K
Write an article for your local newspaper or favorite blog. Let your community know why the Gaza 5K is an important event! Be sure to email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can promote your article.
Pick up the phone!
Remember when you used to use your phone to make calls instead of to update your Facebook status? Pretend it’s 2001 and start calling friends and family to see if they’re down for a day of solidarity and fun!
Hand out flyers!
If you want to receive the gold star for most active Gaza 5K participant, hand out flyers and promo cards to interested businesses, organizations, and social clubs in the DC metro area. We’re happy to send you the materials. Email us at email@example.com.
Here are some fundraising tips to help you reach your goal:
- Make the first donation to your page. Even if your donation is small, it lets your friends and family know that you’re serious about the cause!
- Personalize your fundraising page and emails to let people know why you’re running/walking in the Gaza 5K. If they know why you care, they’re more likely to care too! Need some inspiration? Click here for more information on UNRWA's psycho-social support program.
- Keep asking! Like running (or walking) a 5K, fundraising takes perseverance. Consistently send emails, share your fundraising page on social media, and tell friends and family about your goal. Your supporters are out there -- you just have to ask! You might need to send emails at least three times-- it can take a few reminders to get donations. If you need help with language, contact us.
- Use the #Gaza5K hashtag. Your Facebook status is what everyone sees in their newsfeeds, so make it count. Post about your fundraising or training achievements two or three times a week, and make sure to always link to your fundraising page. If you can, include photos of you training!
#Gaza5K, #UNRWA, #UNRWAUSA
Use Twibbon to show your support on Facebook or Twitter. Click below to easily change your profile and cover photos in solidarity: